For starters, VFS stands for the Vancouver Film School. It's a school based (naturally) in Vancouver, BC that specializes in Production, Animation, and Game Design. The Game Design program is a one-year commitment that will earn you a Diploma in Game Design upon completion. The program covers all aspects of game design including storytelling, level design, game art, motion capture, scripting, cinematics, and the business of games.
So what about your prospects after graduating you ask?
Well, according to a recent VFS Game Design graduate salary and job satisfaction survey from the 162 graduates since the graduation of its first class in 2005:
- 84 percent of respondents are currently employed in the game industry
- Over 50 percent of respondents expected to earn between $40,001 and $60,000 in 2009
- 77 percent of respondents working in the industry considered themselves to be fairly compensated
- 93 percent of respondents working in the industry enjoy the work they do
- 90 percent of respondents working in the industry are positive about their long-term career opportunities
If you're interested in learning more about VFS, they are having an Open House event on this Sunday, February 8.
Oh, and did I mention that NextGen Player will be there?