By Paul Hunter
The beautiful JRPG-inspired Astria Ascending is launching tomorrow for PS5, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Game Pass. Anyone who's played classic Final Fantasy games should check this game out as it boasts a narrative written by Kazushige Nojima (Final Fantasy VII, FFX, FFVII Remake), score by Hitoshi Sakimoto (FFXII, Vagrant Story), and art from CyDesignation (Akihiko Yoshida and Hideo Minaba).
I first got a glimpse of this game back in March during the ID@Xbox presentation, and I've just been mesmerized by the game ever since. The entire presentation stands out from its gorgeous 2D landscapes to the wonderful soundtrack and the intense turn-based battles.
Here's the launch trailer so you can see this beautiful game in action:
The standard edition's launch price will be $39.99 on consoles and $34.99 on PC (both prices in USD). The game is also launching day on Xbox Game Pass.
Still want to know more? Here's the game's official feature list:
- Epic Tales: Fight for the future while you reckon with the past; sacrifice everything, relinquish nothing. The story of Astria Ascending was developed in part by writer Kazushige Nojima, known for his work on Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VII Remake.
- Living Landscapes: Travel the world of Orcanon, a richly imagined and fully animated 2D landscape with five cities and a dynamic weather system.
- Unforgettable Characters: Pick from eight customizable player characters spanning a range of fantastical races and skills, and assemble a diverse team of heroes.
- Rewarding Combat: Work together to save the world, waging strategic turn-based battles using the innovative focus point system.
- A Treat for the Ears: With music and SFX from composer Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy XII, Valkyria Chronicles), Astria Ascending is a heart-swelling joy to listen to.